It’s been a while (totally did not stick to my goal of writing more online)! I’ve been writing consistently in a hardcopy journal but I have not been blogging. I guess my year has been full of reflections of the personal kind. I spent a lot of time thinking about the mistakes I’ve made and who I want to become. The process was discouraging to say the least, especially when I saw how much I continued to struggle to be that ideal person. Perhaps too much time was spent thinking and fretting, and not enough time in action… but this is one lesson I plan to take forward in the New Year.
I love my family. My parents are awesome. Every year they organize a little family hangout where we go over some important moments of the past year and share our plans for the upcoming 12 months. While many of the items on the list are personal, I’ll share a few big moments from 2016 and some goals for 2017.
In 2016 I…
- Cut off my long hair and went natural (haven’t embraced my natural curls since I was 11). I learned not to depend on my hair and how I look to feel attractive.
- Joined the gym and stuck with it.
- Started my first career job with salary & benefits. (God is teaching me to be patient and stick to the work even if the reward is not immediate.)
- Overcame my uncontrollable anxiety! Thank the Lord!
- Withdrew from unhealthy social settings that were turning me into a negative and worrisome person. Discovered peace in this decision, clarity in which relationships are important and worth keeping, and a more positive perspective.
- Spent two amazing months with my gramma.
- Went on a lot of fun adventures with xxxxx & enjoyed some awesome theatre plays.
Although 2016 was a “numb-ish” year, I believe 2017 will be full of much more joy as things are finally coming into their right place.
In 2017 I plan to…
- Learn to be content & joyful with where I am in life, instead of worrying about the future (Trust God’s plan).
- Do the things on my list (private) that will help me grow spiritually and strengthen my relationship with God and the Church.
- Kill fear and doubt by reminding myself of God’s promises.
- Learn to be brave and confident in making decisions.
- Save money!!!!! Focus on my “adult-ing” goals.
- Write more!!!!! Take more pictures & start developing my lifestyle blog.
- Go on tons of adventures all-year-long.
When I look back at 2016 I don’t feel a lot of excitement about it, but that surprisingly doesn’t sadden me or make me feel like I wasted my time. There was a verse I read that came into my mind when I was talking to a friend Friday night, and the verse goes,
“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die… a time to weep, and a time to laugh… a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time for war, and a time for peace.” (Ecclesiastes 3)
This past year may have been a season of struggle and failure, but one day I will realize what the purpose of this 2016 season was.
Reflecting on the past may be painful and making plans for the future may be difficult to envision, but I’m pretty sure the reason that human beings have a brain and a conscience is to give us insight to who we are, how we behave, what we say and think, and invent methods to grow and do better in the future. I hope your 2016 was full of life-changing experiences, and challenges that serve as useful life lessons to be learned. I hope 2017 will be your chance to take those lessons and make something out of them.
I hope the New Year brings plentiful opportunities to laugh, grow, listen, teach, help, serve, love, give, and be thankful. All the best for the new year, God bless!